Mug daler bhaja pithe – coconut stuffed lentil shells for betway88.comBengali Poush Sankranti
Sankranti不是只有一天的孟加拉庆典，betway88.combut it is week-long celebration specially when it comes to relish those extravagant spread ofpithe-puli .所以今天我要和你们分享一份非常特别的家庭食谱和我最喜欢的一份。For festivals like Sankranti every betway88.comBengali earnestly waited for three things,a good coconut,难以捉摸的枣椰和刚收获的大米。And with just three ingredients an array of delicious spread is prepared that they relish not for just a day or week but for the entire winter months.
Rice is essential to this celebration,more specific the rice powder which form the base for many dishes.The coconut and date palm jaggery together makes that irresistible stuffing that goes in almost every dishes that are formally prepared for this festival.
To an urban Indian or betway88.comBengali for that matter,thispithe-pulispread may become a thing of past,most of the recipes are heirlooms,handed down through generations and are surviving in hands of few food enthusiasts who took the pain to recreate that magic.My Ma,aunts and my Grandma's are all expert in these and they used to make not just one or two dishes but an entire gamut ofpithe-puli,there may be dozen such dishes.And the high point is that they made these delicious dishes not just for their own family,but for the extended family,relatives and even for the neighbors,that too at such a ripe age of 80's or 90's.在当时有限的帮助和舒适的条件下，他们在厨房里流汗了几个小时，准备这些菜，却什么也不抱怨。他们的热情总是让我吃惊！!
对于这个杯子shamali或mug daler pitha，the yellow lentils are first roasted,then boiled with just enough water and then mashed up and seasoned with salt and spices.是的，我们做的很美味，unlike the many who prefers a more sweeter version of it and so we don't dunked it in the syrup.The lentil shells are then filled up with the coconut-jaggery filling and deep-fried in hot oil.The sweetness of the stuffing will beautifully balance the spiciness of the lentil shells,and you can enjoy them with your evening tea or in the morning breakfast as you love to.
Also check mug daler nakshi pitha ormung pakon pitharecipe here.
- Yellow lentils / Mung beans : 1 cup
- All purpose flour : 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Spices (cumin and red chilli powder) : 1-2 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Coconut grated : 2 cups
- Milk / coconut milk : ¼ cup
- Date palm jaggery (crumble into pieces) : 1 cup + more
- Heat a nonstick pan and add the coconut in it.On a low flame,keep on stirring the coconut for few minutes and add the milk.
- 一旦牛奶被椰子吸收，add the jaggery.
- Keep on stirring on low flame till the jaggery melts and incorporates well into the coconut.
- Continue stirring,这可能需要20分钟，直到你得到一个小肿块混合物。
- Leave the mixture to cool for few minutes.
- Now add just enough water to boil the lentils.
- 煮沸后，应变多余的水（如果有的话）but do not discard it,use it in other dishes.
- Season the lentils with salt and spices and mashed it.
- Add the rice flour and all pupose flour to the mashed lentils to make a soft dough.
- Refrigerate for half an hour until it stiffens a bit.
- Pinch a walnut size ball from mashed lentil dough and with the help of your palm and fingers give it a small bowl like shape.
- Stuff it with the coconut – jaggery mixture,将两端折叠并密封在一起。
- You can crimp or pinch the edges if you want to.
- Prepare a dozen of such stuffed shells and keep aside.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying.
- Fry the pithe or stuffed lentil shells in hot oil over a medium flame till they turns out golden in color and become crisp.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Milk is added to make the stuffing moist.
Add more milk if the coconut is dry,and less if it releases lots of milk and it also helps to bind the sugar / jaggery.
We make it savory but if you want to make the sweeter version,then omit the spices and after deep fried them dunked the lentil shells in sugar syrup.
Hope you have enjoyed this post and please pardon my poor photography,and partial blame to rain also,not a flicker of sunshine in last four days and yes sometimes I get confused too how to style the food 🙁 Does this happens to you too??