Today we are going to present a very special dessert from the city of Nizam's – Hyderabadi qubani ka meetha aka Indian apricot fool (e) or pudding and one of Hyderabad's special dessert,而闻名的城市。
Summers are for peaches,浆果和杏子。Apricots mature early than the others,fresh one has a hint of tang in them but I love their apricot y color and musky flavor.The fruit is native to Armenia and the region is known for producing and using apricots since antiquity.Fields after fields filled with dried apricots in Turkey presents such a pleasurable sight.
Around 400 years ago these Turkish apricots traveled all the way passing through the mighty Himalayan mountains and reached""Hindustan",it's transporters were on the verge of establishing a new dynasty in a foreign land.休息是历史，伴随着莫卧儿的兴衰，但是杏子留在这里。
显然，杏树似乎很喜欢这个新的湿润的热带国家，but since its cultivar can not survive under the scorching sun,they shifted northwards,under the shade of mighty Himalayas.
Apricots finds its destiny as""Qubani ka meetha"under the tutelage ofNizams(Governor of realm) of Hyderabad and thus evolved into one of the most elusive dessert and find its rightful place in the""shahi dastarkhwan"– a meticulously laid out ceremonial dining spread.
With time everything fades out in the oblivion,因此“"qubani ka meetha"".现在一种比较流行的甜点叫海得拉巴。"double ka meetha",or bread pudding that off course represent common man's pudding!!Nizamsare gone,so does the apricot pudding but food connoisseur still strive hard to preserve the tradition.
在我呆的几年里 Hyderabad,,我见过很多版本的khubani ka meetha,but honestly speaking I never liked it.An unappetizing brown color sugary mass with an oversize dollop of vanilla ice cream,can not be Nizam's""khubani ka meetha".
But I was lucky enough to savor it again,only this time it was served in a Muslim wedding of one of my colleague.Whether your are close to your colleague or not,不重要，an invitation to wedding must be honoured in all respect,at least for the sake of grandiose and luxurious feasts weddings are known for in India.That event has changed my perception,,khubani ka meetha里面有切碎的谷粒很好吃，not syrupy sweet and was served with a thick cream.
Recipe is simple.只有四种成分。杏子，sugar,cardamom and cream.
- Dried Apricots : 30 (pitted)
- Sugar : as per requirement
- Heavy Cream : ½ cup
- Soak the apricots in enough water (just to cover the apricots) overnight.They will become rehydrated and plumpy.
- 如果杏子没有凹陷，那么就把种子去掉。My apricots are already pitted so I skip this step.
- Heat the apricots and water together,add a stick of cinnamon or few pods of cardamom or even a star anise if you wish to.This is just to infuse the flavour in the dessert.
- Few drops of lemon or orange extract,if you have.我加入了几滴橘子提取物，它在另一方面提高了味道。
- Now add the sugar and keep stirring.
- I love the way how sugar slowly caramelises.
- Keep stirring and cook on low heat till it reaches a mushy consistency.
- At this stage you can puree it for a smooth texture and this is more traditional way of doing it or you can leave it half crushed.
- Qubani ka meetha is ready and you can serve it warm or cold with saffron cream,garnished with slivered almonds or apricot kernels.
- Give some wings to your imagination and present it in a different style like this - apricot pudding trifle.
- For this take a dessert glass and put the base layer of finely chopped almonds,pistachios,walnuts etc.
- Pour the apricot pudding over it.Top it with saffron cream.If requires repeat the steps and serve chilled.
There are ways to replace the sugar in the recipe,some suggests use dates instead and some honey.我给它加了蜂蜜。
Qubani ka meetharesemble closely to English desserts like apricot fool (e),originated much the same time but food historians vouches that the original dessert was more liquid in nature and was translucent.If that was the case then today'skhubani ka meetharesembles no way close to Nizam's recipe.直到有人挖掘过去并愿意分享几个世纪的古老配方，lets enjoy its modern version.
Happy Weekend and please do not forget to share it on Facebook.