Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan– Curried baby eggplants in medley of nutty spices that attest the repertoire of Nizami Cuisine.
一次又一次，生活以一些奇怪的方式把我重新连接到尼扎姆这个城市。It was almost a decade back when I re traced my journey to Hyderabad,but this time I decided to stay in the city for few years,这样我就有了第二个家。There are lots of memories of this bi-religious city,他们中的大多数只倾向于食物和食物。Quiet natural I guess!模范biryanisthe city is known for,这个mirch ka salan，， khubani ka meetha，all amounts to making the city a foodie's paradise and as I spent my days chasing the flavours across its streets,一个接一个，I chanced upon this – Baghare baingan!Never imagined thateggplantscan be cooked in such a zesty way.
海得拉巴bagara baingan orHyderabadi style tempered eggplants，a culinary delicacy from the city of Nizam's and is perhaps the best eggplant dish I have ever tasted.
巴加拉means tempering the oil with spices,a traditional Indian practice of cooking to enhance the aroma of a dish.This dish is an amalgamation of rich Nizami cuisine (which is largely influenced by Awadhi cuisine) with flavour of rustic Andhra cuisine blending into a hallmark dish of the region.
Baghare_Baingan_的魔力在于其独特的香料混合，这里的茄子是两熟的。深紫色的婴儿茄子，首先填充了香甜的椰子花生芝麻酱，then tempered in hot oil and finally simmered in fragrant and spicy gravy slowly absorbing the flavour and acquiring the rich and creamy taste.
Over the years I was bonded to this recipe without altering anything in the long list of ingredients.Few weeks ago I have made this dish once again for my guests,and since I could not lay my hands on Guntur chillies here in US,I thought of substituting them with Kashmiri red chillies,which when ground along with the other spices,这道菜的颜色很好。如果你如此渴望颜色，然后你可以使用克什米尔辣椒丰富而生动的颜色。
The use of the ingredients like groundnut / peanuts,sesame,烤孟加拉克，干红的辣椒和酸味的罗望子使它独特，并被归类为典型的海得拉巴地菜肴。
From Paradise circle to Punjagutta,Banjara hills to Jubilee hills all the restaurant serves this Hyderabadi special called巴哈拉班根但你能打败自制版本吗？？
This recipe is special to me as this was the first Hyderabadi recipe I learnt from my friend's aunt during my few years of stay in Begumpet.
They were very fond of chillies,太小的圆形辣椒，很辣，但我并不害怕，因为我也喜欢吃辣的食物。早晨的味道是不同种类的香料混合而成的，房子里的女人们用这些大磨石来制作香料。The house breaths of strong aroma of spice blends and freshly brewed coffee,that lingers in the air for many hours.Besides the curry leaves,they also love to flavour the dish with young and tender leaves of tamarind,which gives a distinct flavour to the dish.It was surprising for me but gives a very refreshing touch to the dish.
So here is the recipe for baghare baingan or stuffed and tempered egg plants right from the house of a Hyderabadi.
- Baby eggplants: 10-12 (deep purple,2-3 cm long max.tender;If you are shopping for baby eggplants in Bangalore,那就去看看那阿姆达利斯，otherwise it's not so common in local grocery store or vegetable market)
- Black mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Nigella / kalonji : ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilli (if you are using Guntur chilli then 1-2 is enough) : 4-5
- Curry leaves: few
- Channa dal / Bengal gram: a quarter cup
- Groundnuts / peanuts: a quarter cup
- Desiccated coconut : ¾ cup
- Coriander seeds : 1 tsp
- Onion (coarsely chopped) : 1 medium
- Garlic minced : ½ tbsp
- Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Tamarind paste: 3-4 tbsp
- Ground nut Oil : 4-5 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Wash the baby eggplants and slit them perpendicularly (make a +) in the center from the base of each eggplant to its stem,keep the stem intact.
- 将列为填塞料的配料烤熟，在搅拌器中搅拌成粗糊状（不加水），然后用这种混合物将茄子整齐地填满。Keep some of the stuffing mix to be used later in the gravy.
- 在平底锅中加热2汤匙磨碎的坚果油，并用回火成分对冒着烟的热油/面包圈进行回火。add the curry leaves in the end,otherwise it will get burnt.
- Now lower the heat and place the stuffed eggplants in the same oil and let it cook for 10-15 minutes till they become tender.
- 把洋葱和姜蒜放在半勺油里轻轻烤一下。In a mixer,磨碎洋葱，ginger-garlic,还有红辣椒，做成光滑的糊状。This is also called bhuna masala.
- 加入姜黄粉，chilli powder and the remaining stuffing mix.Fry gently for few more minutes till it leaves oil.
- 将罗望子酱稀释，加入肉汁中。Add salt and mix well.
- Add some water (1 cup) and bring it to boil.
- 放低温度，轻轻地把茄子放进去。Simmer for few minutes till done.Check for the seasonings,adjust the sourness,salt and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot the baghare baingan or tempered eggplants with Hyderabadi biryani or enjoy it simply with roti.无论如何，这是一个绝对的赢家。
Hope you have enjoyed this recipe