Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan– Curried baby eggplants in medley of nutty spices that attest the repertoire of Nizami Cuisine.
Time and again,life has reconnected me to this city of Nizam in some strange ways.It was almost a decade back when I re traced my journey to Hyderabad,但这次我决定在城里呆几年，thus making it my second home.这座双宗教城市有很多记忆，and most of them are inclined towards food and food only.安静自然，我想！The exemplary比亚尼斯the city is known for,the米尔卡卡萨兰,, khubani ka meetha,all amounts to making the city a foodie's paradise and as I spent my days chasing the flavours across its streets,one after another,I chanced upon this – Baghare baingan!Never imagined thateggplantscan be cooked in such a zesty way.
Hyderabadibagara baingan orHyderabadi style tempered eggplants,a culinary delicacy from the city of Nizam's and is perhaps the best eggplant dish I have ever tasted.
Bagara就是用香料调和油，印度传统的烹饪方法，用来增加菜肴的香味。This dish is an amalgamation of rich Nizami cuisine (which is largely influenced by Awadhi cuisine) with flavour of rustic Andhra cuisine blending into a hallmark dish of the region.
The magic of baghare baingan lies in its unique blend of spices,eggplants here are twice cooked.Deep velvety purple baby eggplants are first stuffed with flavoured coconut-groundnut-sesame paste,然后在热油中调质，最后在香辣的肉汁中炖煮，慢慢吸收味道，获得浓郁的奶油味。
The baby eggplants are integral to this dish,they gives a unique texture to the dish but if you do not have access to these,then you can substitute it with small purple eggplants which are readily available everywhere.
Over the years I was bonded to this recipe without altering anything in the long list of ingredients.Few weeks ago I have made this dish once again for my guests,既然我不能把手放在这里的辣椒上，我想用克什米尔红辣椒代替它们，which when ground along with the other spices,imparts a nice color to the dish.If you are so desperate for the color,then you can use Kashmiri chillies for the rich and vivid color.
使用花生/花生等原料，sesame,roasted bengal gram,dry red chillies and tangy scent of tamarind makes it unique and classified it as typical Hyderabadi cuisine.
从天堂圈到Punjagutta，Banjara Hills to Jubilee Hills所有的餐厅都提供这家名为海德拉巴迪的特别餐厅。baghara bainganbut can you beat the home cooked version??
They were very fond of chillies,and that too small rounded Guntur chillies,very hot but I was not scared as I too have this penchant for hot and spicy foods.The mornings were flavoured with different kinds of spice blends that the women of the house used to make in those large grinding stone.这间房子呼吸着混合香料和新鲜咖啡的强烈香味，在空气中停留了好几个小时。Besides the curry leaves,they also love to flavour the dish with young and tender leaves of tamarind,这道菜有独特的风味。这对我来说很奇怪，但却给了我一种清新的感觉。
- 小茄子：10-12（深紫色，最大2-3厘米长。tender;If you are shopping for baby eggplants in Bangalore,then do check the Naamdharis,otherwise it's not so common in local grocery store or vegetable market)
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds : ½ tsp
- Nigella / kalonji : ¼ tsp
- Garlic flakes: few
- Dry red chilli (if you are using Guntur chilli then 1-2 is enough) : 4-5
- Sesame seeds (white): a quarter cup
- Desiccated coconut : ¾ cup
- Coriander seeds : 1 tsp
- Ginger minced : ½ tbsp
- Garlic minced : ½ tbsp
- Kashmiri red chillies : 3-4 (soaked in water)
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Tamarind paste: 3-4 tbsp
- Wash the baby eggplants and slit them perpendicularly (make a +) in the center from the base of each eggplant to its stem,保持阀杆完好。
- Soak the eggplants in salt water for few minutes to retain its deep purple color.
- Remove from the water and pat them dry.
- Roast the ingredients listed for stuffing and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste (without adding any water) and neatly stuff the eggplants with this mixture.保留一些填料混合物，以便以后在肉汁中使用。
- Heat 2 tbsp ground nut oil in a pan and temper / bagar the smoking hot oil with the tempering ingredients,最后加咖喱叶，otherwise it will get burnt.
- Poke the eggplants with a fork to make sure that eggplants are all well cooked.
- Remove gently each of the eggplants to a serving dish and keep them aside.
- 把洋葱和姜蒜放在半勺油里轻轻烤一下。在搅拌机里，grind the onions,ginger-garlic,and the red chillies and make a smooth paste.This is also called bhuna masala.
- 在锅里再加些油，然后加入洋葱姜蒜辣椒酱。Fry for few minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder,辣椒粉和剩下的填料混合。Fry gently for few more minutes till it leaves oil.
- Dilute the tamarind paste and add it to the gravy.Add salt and mix well.
- Add some water (1 cup) and bring it to boil.
- Lower the heat and gently place the eggplants in it.煮几分钟直到熟。检查调味料，调整酸味，salt and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot the baghare baingan or tempered eggplants with Hyderabadi biryani or enjoy it simply with roti.In any case its a sure winner.