For the first time in my life,我忘了昨天是印度Independenceday.昨天早上，我在纽约旅行了将近一周，没有去过Facebook for a while (that's how I catch up with latest news 🙂 ),这一天已经从我的脑海中消失了。and strangely I felt no regret whatsoever.I don't feel like making提朗加彩盘. 不管怎样，要点是什么？?
I still remember my schooldays,when we used to celebrate the Independence day with so much vigor and festivity,march past followed by folk dances and singing all the patriotic songs on top of the voices,it was quiet meaningful for us.愿我们不要暴露在这个世界丑陋的现实面前。A nation that is swamped in poverty,corruption,poor health,failing democratic system,无政府状态……然而，我们对一个充满希望、没有憎恨的新世界持乐观态度，casteism,regionalism,a secular and more progressive in true aspect.
Today post is not about my failing memory but about a celebrated Indian street food called""
pav bhaji"孟买pav bhaji.Food always adds color to any gloomy thoughts.
Mumbai is hard to define.A ruthless city,city of dreamers and riches,a beautiful mess of technicolor dilapidated structures standing proudly alongside the Victorian and Gothic architecture in a spectacular maze completed with unending lanes of towering skyscrapers.A city that is shaped by an assortment of flavors both local,区域和全球，a kaleidoscope of cuisines where fine dining and street foods coexist in a symbiotic relationship.
面向海平面，aluminium clad make-shift kitchens,dotted with multi color table and chair,colorful array of歌拉瓶，balloonwala,kulfiwala,,panipuri摊位，deafening noise level,sea of humanity in myriad hues,roaring of sea waves,千言万语的笑声融合在一起，使聚湖chowpatty（海滩）喧闹的地方。In the midst of all these cacophony world,the flavors of steaming hotpav bhajiis the ultimate bliss one can experience.
A black color steamy griddle /tavawhose fringes are lined with boiled potatoes,胡萝卜，onions,green capsicum,tomatoes,green chillies,cilantro leaves,,pavor buns and in the center a semi mound of mish -mashed vegetables getting cooked on a hottava,colored with lots of spices,sprinkled with splash of lemon juice and dollop of extra butter,,pav bhajiget ready to feed hundreds of mouths,勤奋地，一小时又一小时，days after days.
除非我看到整个制作过程，I could not enjoy thepav bhaji.在餐馆里还有很多东西可以想象，对我来说很无聊，as far as street foods are concerned.Well,they are called street foods for a reason.This one,where food is getting cooked right in front of you,has a certain charm to it and is very infectious (in a good way)!!
但是如果你对印度水域没有免疫力，do not take risk of eating street foods.If ever you have come across that temptation,you can rely on my few points of享受街头美食在这里。
Baking is not native to Indian culture,eating buns are not traditional here.India is known for its flat breads but how come Mumbai has come to known for itspav bhaji?Probably a gift from Portuguese who has influenced the Indian food in a great way,journey frompao到pavhas crossed almost a century and this has become Mumbai's most celebrated dish now.Thanks to mill worker's of a bygone century and white-collar workers of present days,,pav bhajihas come a long way.Breakfast,lunch or dinner it will never leave you hungry.
Makingbhajior the vegetable mish mash (not curry) is simple yet it is tricky enough to get the right flavours.我还记得第一次巴吉,it was good as per my standards.My husband who is from Mumbai did not say anything much other than a polite好"and I understood it was not"好“.四个月后，他订了去孟买的票，说"让我带你看看我的城市——孟买阿姆奇"and that was the beginning… Years later I have perfected it with multiple level of experiments.Now even a Mumbaikar authenticates it too.Need I say more??
Recipe for buttery buns has been adapted from 亚瑟王的金拉断黄油面包。
Recipe forpav bhajimasala has been given in note section.
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 Boiled potatoes (large)
- 1 Large onion (very finely chopped / minced)
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 large plump tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Pav bhaji masala
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of chaat masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp butter (plus more if requires)
- Sift the flour,sugar and salt together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 2 tbsp lukewarm water,在里面加点糖。
- In a bowl add butter and milk together,heat it till the butter melts.温度应该是微温的。If it is too hot,然后让它静置5分钟。
- 在面粉的中心做一口井，add the yeast mixture and butter-milk together in the flour.
- Mix it,draw the flour towards the center till all the flour is used up.
- On a lightly flour dusted surface,knead the dough for 10 minutes,till it become smooth.
- Rest the dough in a greased bowl,盖上厨房毛巾，让它在温暖的地方上升，直到体积加倍。
- Rising will take around 45 min to one hour time depending upon the ambient temperature.
- 把面团打下来，release the air bubbles from it,knead it for 3 more minutes.
- Cut the dough equally into 9 portions,shape it into smooth rounds and place them in the greased baking pan,中间留出大约1/4英寸的位置。
- Dough balls should not touch each other.
- Let the dough balls rise for another 45 minutes.
- Brush them with butter,olive oil,egg wash,honey or whatever feels good for you.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 375 F for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Increase the temperature to 400 F and bake for another 5 minute.(Total baking time will be 20 - 25 minutes)
- Cool it over the wire racks,brush it with more melted butter to keep it soft and serve immediately.
- In a kadhai or frying pan,warm the butter,加入切碎的洋葱和姜。Saute for 5 minutes till the onions sweat.Do not brown the onions.
- Increase the heat,add all the spices,salt and green chillies and cook on medium high heat for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some water if it dries up quickly.
- 用土豆捣碎机，keep mashing everything till it gets a uniform look.
- 加1杯温水，把火放低，再煮几分钟，till the desired consistency achieved.
- Bhaji is neither dry nor runny,so add the water accordingly.
- 检查调味料，adjust the taste accordingly.
- Before serving,add extra knob of butter if you prefer,squeeze one quart of lemon juice all over it,用切碎的洋葱和香菜装饰。
While baking,adjust your oven temperature accordingly.
Buns will be very soft.
Pav bhaji masala is important here.Go for any store-bought one or else you use this combination ( 1 tbsp red chilli powder + 4 tbsp coriander powder + 2 tbsp cumin powder + ¼ tbsp black pepper powder + a pinch of cinnamon powder + a pinch of ground cloves + ½ tbsp black cardamom powder + 1 tbsp dry mango powder + 1 tbsp fennel powder = approximately ¾ cup pav bhaji masala.)